Friday, October 21, 2011

Upcycled Sweater Dress

Really easy project which costs practically nothing! I visited the thrift store and picked up this ladies turtle neck:

Using a dress from Olivia's wardrobe as a template, I cut out the front, back, sleeves and neck.  I didn't add seam allowances since this knit is reeeeally stretchy:



With the wrong sides together, I sewed the shoulder seams:


Then pinned and sewed the neck:



Then pinned and sewed  the sleeves onto the dress:



Then sewed the sleeve seam down the underarm to the sides of the dress:


And TA DA! That's all there is to it!  I even picked up another thrifted sweater which is waiting in my huge project pile...such a comfy, pretty fall outfit!  Here's the little princess 'modeling' it.  Although it would be nice to get a better shot of the dress, I'm in no hurry for her to start running around!








6 comments:

  1. Crafty, crafty. I love this idea and it would look like one of those expensive sweater dresses if I could find the right striped sweater at the thrift store... You have inspired me!! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The sweater waiting in the wings is striped, and I'm gonna try do a split turtle neck with it... fun, fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, little darling! I would love to make one of these for my baby girl! You make it seem easy. I may actually try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have pinned this for one of my first projects with my new sewing machine. I'm a total newbie at sewing, but this looks so easy, I hope that it turns out OK for me! (BTW, I found your blog through Sew Much Ado, and its pretty cool, its going on my google reader! :D Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie: Hope you have fun with your new sewing machine! It's a bit tricky sewing knits, so make sure you get yourself a ball point needle for the machine. This helps when sewing knits. I did the dress with a serger, but there's no reason you can't do it with a regular sewing machine as long as you use a stretch stich (zig zag is fine) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip!! I will be sure to get one and use a zig zag stitch! Thanks again!! :D

    ReplyDelete

So. Whadaya think?